… a reasonable, rational alternative.
While many on the Left complain that Republicans in Congress do nothing but bitch and moan about the ACA, trying to repeal the law while offering no alternative solution to the “health care crisis” in the US, a group of House Republicans have actually developed a comprehensive alternative. A group of 128 Reps have sponsored a bill in the House, HR 3121, to repeal and replace ObamaCare.
While the last provision is nothing but a salve to the far right, since federal funding of abortion is already prohibited by law, the rest of the provisions are common sense solutions that will increase competition for your health care dollars, thereby lowering costs. The bill would also eliminate the costly addition of mandated services that many of us do not need or want in our health care coverage; such as birth control, maternity care, and infant care services, included in the policy of a 58 year old single man (like me), which will also lower costs.
Now, this may not be the perfect solution to the needs of our health care system, but it is a good beginning, and certainly a powerful alternative to the ridiculous implementation of the ACA and its 20,000 pages of regulations. So, the next time you hear the main stream media and Democrats saying that Republicans only want to repeal ObamaCare without a replacement, remember this – and call them out as the liars they are.
From the RSC website:
“Conservatives recognize that patient-centered reforms rooted in free markets are the best way to lower costs and solve problems in our health care system. That is why the Republican Study Committee (RSC) is proud to bring forward a pragmatic, practical, and portable free-market alternative to the current health care system. Simply put, our bill is a better way forward.
- Fully repeals President Obama’s health care law, eliminating billions in taxes and thousands of pages of unworkable regulations and mandates that are driving up health care costs.
- Spurs competition to lower health care costs by allowing Americans to purchase health insurance across state lines and enabling small businesses to pool together and get the same buying power as large corporations.
- Reforms medical malpractice laws in a commonsense way that limits trial lawyer fees and non-economic damages while maintaining strong protections for patients.
- Provides tax reform that allows families and individuals to deduct health care costs, just like companies, leveling the playing field and providing all Americans with a standard deduction for health insurance.
- Expands access to Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), increasing the amount of pre-tax dollars individuals can deposit into portable savings accounts to be used for health care expenses.
- Safeguards individuals with pre-existing conditions from being discriminated against purchasing health insurance by bolstering state-based high risk pools and extending HIPAA guaranteed availability protections.
- Protects the unborn by ensuring no federal funding of abortions.
The Republican Study Committee (RSC) is a group of House Republicans organized for the purpose of advancing a conservative social and economic agenda in the House of Representatives. The Republican Study Committee is dedicated to a limited and Constitutional role for the federal government, a strong national defense, the protection of individual and property rights, and the preservation of traditional family values. The group has played a major role in key policy areas including budget, appropriations, taxes, education, Social Security reform, defense, deregulation, and general government reform. The Republican Study Committee is an independent research arm for Republicans.”